Make Dungeons is a 3D and animated Virtual Tabletop Simulator with many 5e adventures. It can turn any TTRPG into a fully playable multiplayer video game. It comes with many unique capabilities, such as:
- DM Assistant shows the DM necessary info about the game when it is needed.
- Virtual DM takes over the role of DM for your games. It also helps you play solo adventures by yourself.
- AI-Powered 3D Map Generator creates a playable enviroment in an instant that you can easily modify.
- Event Maker has functions that can be dragged onto objects and characters, so you can create custom effects.
- 5e rules and many adventures are built-in.
- Low learning curve: All the actions that players can take are shown to them.
- Little to no preparation: Players can just join, select a preset game and enjoy.
- Infinitely expandable: Creators can add their audio, models and textures to the Make Dungeons.
These features and more are explained in detail below.
DM Assistant or Virtual DM
Expert DM’s who know every rule by heart are a rare find. Most people have to prepare for hours before playing a TTRPG. DM assistant aims to reduce learning curve for the games by showing necessary info when needed. For example, a player walks into a trap. DM assistant will pause the game, give the DM description of the current situation and ask the DM if the player needs to make a save roll. The virtual DM completely takes over the role of a DM, and your game will be run based on events that are set for that game. So, your designated DM can enjoy the game with you as a player. If your DM is busy for that session, you have virtual DM to cover for them. Game creators can even add audio to the virtual DM for their games.
AI Powered Map Generator
This tool will help you design the enviroment for your game effortlessly. A map will be created based on an existing template. You can also print generated maps if you want to use them outside Make Dungeons. Let’s create a map together.
- Select the area where you want to generate a template.
- Decide where the doors will be.
- Select a template and press the generate button.
- A game level with props will be created based on your inputs. You can then add new models from the list or modify existing ones to your liking.
We have written many scripts that can be used in tabletop games for you. They can be used to create events and behaviours. This way, tabletop game rules can be created and players will be able to play on them, and all the calculations for the game, such as damage, spell effects etc. are done automatically. Implementing a script requires no scripting knowledge and takes very little time. Let’s create an event for an explosion trap.
- First, we define the trigger. We should select “on move to tile” and assign the event to the tile we want.
- Then, we select “play effect: explosion”, “play sound: explosion”, “area effect”, “range: 20ft”, “make DEX saving throw”, “take damage”, “8d6 / 2”, “if failed”, “take damage” and “8d6”.
Our trap is ready. When a player moves in to the trap, an explosion will occur and affected characters will make a DEX save. If we want to make it discoverable and disarmable, we need to make other events and assign on the same tile. Commonly used events for traps, opening doors etc. are put together in blocks for ease of use.
First-person exploration option:
Most tabletop games are played with top-down view. The beauty of first-person perspective is it offers more immersive and enjoyable gameplay to its players. Players will have an option to play from first-person perspective and will have a better view of their world.
Community driven marketplace with free or paid, games and modules:
Publisher and community creators of different games and adventure modules will be able to digitize their content and sell or share them with other players at our marketplace. We are excited to see what kinds of games the community will create!
Player vision is based on the abilities of their characters.
Windows, Linux and Mac support.
Single player support:
With the games that offer bot support, you can play your favorite adventure however you like with the help of bots or you can fill in positions of your awol friends. (Depends on stretch goals.)
5e ruleset is prebuilt:
5e ruleset is prebuilt with many custom play styles, such as: Tabletop MMORPG, where many player gather and form parties in game to complete quests; player’s guilds; PVP battles for rewards; procedurally generated dungeons to see how far you can go. Details are given at the stretch goals. (Custom playstyles depends on stretch goals.)
Get yourself fully immersed in fantastical worlds in virtual reality. (Depends on stretch goals.)
Why Make Dungeons?
There are many creative people in the gaming community. That’s why we see new and exciting tabletop games being made everyday. If creating video games out of a tabletop RPG adventure would be fast and easy process, there would be lots of them for us to play with, and that’s exactly what we are trying to achieve. Make Dungeons has a AI-powered 3D map generator where you can build your levels effortlessly, an event maker where many scripts are prewritten for you to be assigned to the objects and characters, and lots of models, animations and textures to be used in your games. The games you build will be playable in multiplayer with dynamic lighting. So, there will be many games for us to choose from. If you want to play a game immediately, there are many free adventures inside it for you to enjoy.
How to use?
Let’s create a 5E adventure module in Make Dungeons together.
- Select “Adventure Maker” and select “5E” from the options.
- Define game spesific parameters, such as starting level, number of players, starting time etc.
- If necessary, create or add a 2D map for overworld exploration.
- Create 3D maps by using AI-powered map generator, and if you like to modify or add new objects, use “Objects” tool to help you.
- Define parameters for the map, such as ambient lighting, indoor/outdoor.
- Assign “move to” script to the doors to define how maps are connected together. If you assign “rotate” script, you can also animate doors.
- Create NPC’s that exist in your game and assign their behaviours. (Hostile or friendly, faction if it has one, dialogs, the path it moves etc.) In combat, either the DM or its AI will control the NPC, so no modification is needed.
- Assign events to the objects, tiles and maps.
After you add events to your objects, the game will be ready. You can share it online or even sell it. It’s up to you.
Some Words From The Developer
I love RPG’s and what got us hooked was a TOEE (Temple of Elemental Evil) PC game by Atari. I loved the tactical roleplaying gaming style so I wanted more. By third gameplay, I found all things hidden inside the game and it got repetative. Later, I found a group named Co8 (Circle of Eight) was making mods for the game, and new content was getting added constantly. I got hooked all over again. (Thank you, Co8) Many years later, I am still craving for games staying true to original DND playstyle. For my next project, I thought of creating my own game and storyline as a passion project, but it would be one story and I wanted to play in many more. So, I thought of making the process of creating PC games so easy that people with good stories can turn their ideas into a game without extensive knowledge. In the end, there will be many adventures with hidden secrets for us to discover. Let’s make this idea a reality. İhsan Mutlu – Lead Developer